Climate change is one of the most urgent issues of our time. As brewers we rely on clean water and hospitable growing conditions for quality malt and hops. For the future of beer and our planet, we’re committed to taking steps to reduce our carbon footprint. In January 2022 we launched the Welly Climate Future Fund, a capital fund that will be used to invest in projects at our brewery that will reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. It’s the first of many steps that we’re taking to help fight climate change in the years to come.
As one of Canada’s original craft brewers we’re committed to sustainable craft brewing practices. We have a responsibility to continually improve the ways we use water, energy, and raw ingredients in ways that reduce waste and promote circularity.
Our brewery sustainability team meets regularly to track our environmental goals and look for ways to constantly improve our sustainability practices. Here are just a few of the key areas where we’ve taken action to help minimize our environmental impact:
- Local Ingredients - 35% of our hops are locally sourced from hop farms in Ontario and 95% of our malt is grown in Canada.
- Water - We use a state-of-the-art water Voltea Deionization Water Treatment System that has a 75% yield, saving us almost 49 million litres compared to using a Reverse Osmosis system. We also save water by utilizing a closed loop boiler system and using a centrifuge instead of clarifying our beer using plate filters.
- Waste - 98% of all spent grains we use are diverted from the landfill. These spent grains are sent to local farmers to use for animal feed and some yeast and spent grains are creatively used by partners for upcycled bread, insect food, and other products.
- Energy - Our world class NSI brewhouse and Krones packaging line are energy efficient, reducing losses on the ‘hot’ (brewing) and ‘cold’ (filtration and packaging) side of our brewery. We’ve also transitioned our production facility to using 100% LED lighting.
- Community - We support local environmental charities and not-for-profits through fundraising beer releases and other initiatives to help support the vital work they do.
- Packaging - We are transitioning all consumer packaging to be recyclable as well as ensuring that we reuse trays and other materials in our shipping. We’ve also made the switch to using biodegradable E6PR holders on all of our 6-packs and 4-packs.