Crispy Forever Recipe
November 17, 2020
If you’re looking for a place that checks all the boxes, look no further. Jane Bond boasts a friendly staff, a cozy and unique atmosphere, an amazing craft beer selection, and the tastiest vegetarian food around! These Jalapeno Cheddar Hush Puppies are made with Welly’s Crispy Forever Dry-Hopped Helles Lager and are the Jane Bond take on a southern classic. Developed by Head Chef Anya Steffler, these patties are sweet and spicy, crispy and fluffy, and feature the unrivalled combination of beer and cheese. What more could you ask for?
CRISPY FOREVER CHEDDAR JALAPEÑO HUSH PUPPIES
*Makes about 20 Hush puppies
1 ¼ cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp diced jalapeño
⅓ cup corn
1 tbsp minced garlic (approx. 2-3 cloves)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup Wellington Crispy Forever Dry-Hopped Helles Lager
*Makes 1 cup
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp dry cajun spice
1 tsp fresh lime zest
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Add the beer, cheese and diced veg and mix thoroughly. *Be sure to drink the remainder of your Crispy Forever Helles Lager to ensure the best results!*
3. In a large frying pan, heat about 1 centimetre of oil over low-medium heat.
4. Portion approximately 1-2 tablespoons of batter into a rough ball, and drop carefully into the hot oil.
5. Press down gently on the top of the dough ball, forming small biscuits.
6. Cook low and slow for 3-5 minutes a side, until golden brown and crispy (forever!). Reduce heat if you notice browning too quickly - you want to ensure the inside of your hushpuppies are cooked too!
7. Once cooked through, remove the pups from the pan onto a paper towel to soak up extra oil.
Serve with a kickin’ Cajun Mayo and Enjoy!
Jane Bond has been a Waterloo institution for over two decades, serving up vegetarian fare before it was trendy, and craft beer when it was first available. Providing a progressive, warm and inclusive space for all to enjoy, they are open for take-out as well as socially distanced indoor dining.
Head Chef Anya Steffler recently received Waterloo Region’s Reader’s Choice Gold for Local Chef in 2020. Anya started cooking very young, realizing early in life that she had a passion for flavour. As her vegetarianism blossomed, she noticed there weren’t too many exciting options on the average menu. Cooking professionally, she aims to bring big, fun flavour to vegetarian and vegan meals, and provide menu options that even the average carnivore would love.