Helles Cheese Dip with Spent Grain Crackers
August 18, 2023
A playful take on nachos and cheese, this Helles cheese dip is rich and flavourful , complimented by these slightly spicy spent grain crackers. A match made in heaven!
Want to make the perfect snack for you and your friends? Try this warmed up Helles Lager cheese and slightly spicy spent grain crackers- think nacho cheese and tortilla chips, but made with beer ingredients. It's the perfect way to infuse your app with our favourite bubbly beverage!
Helles Lager Cheese Dip
-720 ml (3 cups) Helles Lager
-1.5 kg American Cheese
-500 ml 35% cream
-1 cup caramelized onions, diced
In a large sauce pot, combine cheese, beer and cream and gently melt together on low heat, stirring frequently. Once combined add caramelized onions, reserving some for garnish. Serve warm with spent grain crackers.
Spent Grain Crackers with Everything Bagel Seasoning
-1 ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
-½ cup Light Rye Flour
- ½ cup Spent Grain
- 3 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
-½ tsp Kosher Salt
-½ tsp Black Pepper
-½ Baking Soda
-3 tbsp Butter, cold, cut into small pieces
-1 cup Milk
- Prepare the spent grain by dehydrating or baking in the oven at low heat until fully dried, then roughly blend in a food processor.
- Add flour, rye flour, spent grain, seasonings, and baking soda to the bowl of the food processor, then pulse to blend.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Slowly add milk until a sticky dough forms.
- Remove dough from the food processor, and knead on a floured surface until dough is no longer sticky and ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Rest dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Roll dough to 1/8” and cut into desired shapes. Prick each cracker 2-3 times with a fork.
- Place dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving at least 1/4” between crackers.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, or until crackers are slightly browned and crispy.
- Let cool and serve with Helles Lager Beer Cheese Dip.
Don’t feel like cooking? For a limited time only you can try this delicious recipe with a cold pint of Helles lager at Baker St. Station!