Helles Lager Croque-Monsieur recipe
August 14, 2023
Elevate your sandwich game with this Helles Lager Croque-Monsieur. Nothing pairs better with a classic grilled sandwich better than a crisp beer. The floral bitterness of the Helles lager complements the sandwich perfectly, cutting through the richness of the Swiss cheese and béchamel which features Helles lager, giving it an extra roasty and toasted flavor.
This sandwich captures the essence of comfort food while reaching new heights with the addition of the lightly toasted beer béchamel. Whether enjoyed as a satisfying lunch or a decadent dinner, this recipe celebrates the art of flavor pairing, proving that the marriage of a crisp Helles lager and a classic grilled sandwich can truly create an irresistible combination with minimal effort.
1 473mL can of Helles Lager (~2 cups)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoons hot mustard
salt, pepper and smoked paprika
- Pour the Helles lager into a small pot and bring to a light boil.
- In a small pan, melt the butter over med/low heat, and add in the four and whisk until combined.
-Cook over low heat until the flour is brown and fragrant, add in the hot mustard.
- Pour the hot beer into the butter/flour mixture while whisking vigorously until the sauce is thickened to desired consistency (should be like a thick batter).
- Season with salt, pepper and a small amount of smoked paprika.
Helles Lager Croque-Monsieur
1 tablespoon softened butter
1/3 cup grated swiss cheese (Gruyère or Emmental are best)
2 slices white bread
3 slices good quality sliced ham or mortadella
1/2 cup Beer béchamel (recipe below)
- Turn on broiler in the oven to medium.
- Butter both sides of the bread, layer on the ham and cheese.
- Fry the sandwich in a pan on medium heat until both sides are brown and crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Spread the béchamel on top of the sandwich and put the pan under the broiler until the béchamel is brown and blistered.